Our Club History
Wauchope Surf Life Saving Club was formed in 1927-28 season originally patrolling at Nobby’s Beach in Port Macquarie. Five years later the Wauchope Club and its Port Macquarie counterpart combined and became the Hastings District Surf Life Saving Club.
The clubs split in 1934 and the Wauchope members patrolled Nobby’s Beach until 1937.
Some prominent members at that time included Jack Clavin, AW ‘Lank’ Bain, Earl Morcom, Frank Marchment, Jerry Brien, Jack Parker, Harry Young, Harry Parker, Harry Everingham and Stan ‘Shim’ Marchment, to name a few.
The Second World War brought low numbers and the club became defunct. After some time the old clubhouse was dismantled and transported to Bartlett’s Beach (Little Beach) at Bonny Hills in an effort to start a new club.
The Wauchope Bonny Hills Surf Life Saving Club as we know it today was formed on the 8th October 1958 at a large public meeting held in the Wauchope Community Hall. Wally Sneddon was elected President. The club continued to patrol ‘Little Beach’ till 1960 when it was decided to move around to Rainbow Beach ‘Big Beach’ because of the lack of space for carnivals and future activities.
Over the ensuring years, additions and renovations were carried out to the clubhouse as additional gear such as Inshore Rescue Boats required accommodation. By the year 2008, it was resolved to seek funding for the demolition of the existing building and construction of a clubhouse to meet the growing membership and future needs. In May 2009 the Rudd Federal Government announced a stimulus package grant for the Port Macquarie Hastings Council to build a $2.8 million new structure.
Once demolition commenced, the club patrolled Rainbow Beach from four shipping containers positioned on the reserve. Great excitement ensured over the coming months as members and the community of Bonny Hills witnessed the building of a new clubhouse which included a flat and restaurant. WBHSLSC certainly moved forward in this period.